I recently purchased a Keurig coffee maker and began to wonder about BPA exposure from hot water filtered through the plastic K-Cup. As we defined in a previous blog post about BPA’s involvement in Childhood Obesity, BPA is the acronym for Bispenol A – a common ingredient in many plastics used to handle food and water. It is in the news often due to fears it might be unsafe, contrary to the FDA’s findings.
I performed research regarding the K-Cup and discovered some interesting information.
1. The K-Cup package is made up of three main elements: the cup itself, a layer of filter paper and an aluminum foil top.
2. The cups themselves aren’t recyclable today — but it is in the works.
3. Technically, the plastic in the cups is #7 – meaning it’s a mix of plastics (as opposed to just one kind of plastic). This is what makes it a problem for recycling but also what makes it bullet proof in terms of protecting and preserving the coffee inside.
4. The K-Cups are nitrogen-flushed, sealed for freshness and impermeable to oxygen, moisture and light.
5. According to the Keurig website’s Corporate Social Responsibility page, “K-Cup® and Vue® packs do not contain BPA and are constructed using FDA-approved food safe materials. We also use FDA-approved food safe materials in our K-Cup® and Vue® brewing systems, and neither system contains BPA within its water paths (as of January 1, 2010 for our K-Cup® system).”
In summary, it does not appear that brewing coffee in a Keurig system using a K-Cup poses any harm or exposure to BPA. However, to avoid unnecessary risk if you are still concerned, utilize the Keurig “My Cup” filter to brew your own coffee, tea or cocoa – and eliminate the K-Cup (and the added non-recyclable waste) altogether.
“… to avoid unnecessary risk if you are still concerned, utilize the Keurig “My Cup” filter to brew your own coffee, tea or cocoa – and eliminate the K-Cup (and the added non-recyclable waste) altogether.”
To learn more about environmental factors that may impact your well being, please contact the LifeScape Premier concierge medical practice, and one our best doctors in Phoenix can work with you to develop a personalized diet and nutrition program for you and your family.